Managed WiFi is a system that gives you full visibility and control of your home network devices and performance. As more and more devices connect to your home WiFi, having a way to manage, control and view everything from one source is beneficial to your home networks’ performance and security.
How Managed WiFi Works in Your Home
A Managed WiFi system takes away the headache of trying to manage all of your connected devices yourself, battling with speed issues and intermittent connectivity. Managed WiFi gives you the visibility into your home network and its connected devices so devices are automatically monitored for performance or security issues and alerts you when there is an issue. Most Managed WiFi systems from your ISP are cloud-based systems that use a software agent that runs on your ISP’s Gateway that acts as the central brain of your system.
Benefits of Managed WiFi
A managed WiFi system typically offers the following benefits and capabilities:
- Visibility to manage access points and gateways like your router
- Seeing all of the devices connected to your network
- Visibility to signal strength for device and overall bandwidth consumption on the network
- Ability to manage any WiFi extenders and other WiFi boosters
- Advanced security for the primary and guest WiFi networks
- Alerts about network performance and security
- Ability to manage guests on your WiFi network
How to Get Managed WiFi
You can get managed WiFi either through your Internet service provider (ISP) when renting your devices. Or you can buy it as part of a gateway, router or WiFi mesh product. Some of the purchased Managed WiFi systems come with a monthly subscription, while ones from your ISP are likely “included” in the price of your equipment rental.
Usually, Managed WiFi solutions are controlled by an app on your smartphone or tablet. You simply download the app for the platform or subscription, create an account, configure your home network devices and you are set.
Managed WiFi apps let you manage your home network, make changes to its configuration, manage all end devices, create guest networks, resolve WiFi performance issues and more. Some apps that go through ISPs let you communicate directly with their Customer Care team, so troubleshooting is easier for you and costly truck rolls are avoided.
Hitron’s MyHitron app is a perfect example of a managed WiFi solution. It’s a self-serve home WiFi management and optimization tool right in the palm of your hand. You get full access to all controls and configurations such as:
- Manage network performance including network password and name, enable, disable devices and pause devices
- Check your network speed
- Set and adjust parental controls
- Set and adjust network security settings
- Provides network security and management of your connected devices
- WiFi and network optimization to manage settings
- Check the overall health of your WiFi network, adjusting WiFi bands and channels
- Create and manage Guest networks and access permissions
- Troubleshoot and resolve connectivity issues and more.
MyHitron is available through Internet Service Providers. Ask your ISP about MyHitron today.
Want more about Managed WiFi? Check out Hitron’s Learn page.