Home network security refers to protecting the WiFi network that connects devices to each other and to the Internet in your home. Such as routers, computers, smartphones, and other WiFi-enabled devices including things like baby monitors, cameras and more.
Often, homeowners think that their network is safe because it is small or that their devices are secure enough right out of the box. Both of these are simply not true. Your home network is never too small to protect, and your devices always need security and configurations. When it comes to setting up home network security there is a two-pronged approach:
- Setting up security on the router or gateway
- Setting up security provided through a cloud-based solution
In today’s connected world, both approaches to cyber-security are necessary.
How to Secure Your Home Network
Setting up your home network security doesn’t have to be hard. There are things that you can do regularly with your router or gateway device to keep a secure network, like:
- Changing default logins and passwords to strong, unique passwords
- Updating software on device regularly
- Installing a network firewall and devices
- Regularly backing up data
- Using strong encryption protocols
In addition, you can also use a cloud-based solution like a managed WiFi system to secure your wireless network. Managed WiFi systems often provide advanced security features. For example, using a managed WiFi system app like Hitron’s MyHitron app offers you security controls and benefits like:
- Advanced security protection for all connected devices to your home network, including IoT and Smart devices.
- Prevention and protection from Internet security threats, password breaking, malware, phishing attacks and DDoS attacks.
- Alerts when new devices join the network, and when security breaches occur.
- Monitoring for password breaking network vulnerabilities and website traffic disruption.
- Ability to block or resume the connectivity of a device whenever you need to.
Leveling up your home WiFi network performance and protection is easy with managed WiFi. You get full access to all controls and configurations without having to get your provider to come out to your home. Everything is in the palm of your hand. Ask your ISP about MyHitron today.
For more about managed WiFi, check out our Learn page.