If you have noticed that your Internet speeds are slow and your cable modem is disconnecting frequently, these may be signs that you need to replace your modem. Most modems running 24/7, can receive a lot of wear and tear. The longer you have your Internet cable modem, the more likely it is that you may start to notice connectivity issues.
Here’s a checklist to determine if your cable modem might be the issue:
- You can’t connect to the internet
- Your Internet connection randomly drops out
- You frequently have to reset or restart your modem
- Your streaming is lagging
- Your internet speeds are inconsistent
- Your modem’s indicator light remains unlit
- Your modem runs constantly hot
- Your modem is over 5 years old
Renting from Internet Provider
If you are experiencing connectivity issues and you are renting your cable modem from an Internet provider, you may need to reach out to them for a replacement.
Purchased your Own Modem
If you purchased your own cable modem, you may need to troubleshoot your cable modem and coax wiring to determine where the issue lies. Using a coax cable tester to test your coax wiring or coax outlet for an Internet connection, can tell you if there is an issue with your modem, coax connection or your cable Internet provider.
When should you Upgrade your Modem?
- If your Service Provider upgrades their networkto support new DOCSIS technology such as DOCSIS 3.1
- If your Service Provider offers faster Gigabit speed tiers for higher speed Internet plans, so you can take advantage of these faster speeds to increase your home network performance
How Long do Cable Modems Last?
Cable modems can last many years, but advances in Internet technology can greatly improve your Internet performance. Typically, you should look to upgrade or replace your cable modem every two to four years. Newer cable modem technology, such as DOCSIS 3.1, can have a variety of improvements, including faster download speeds, faster uplink speeds, enhanced streaming capabilities, DOCSIS 3.1 capabilities and more.
When it is time to replace your modem, you should choose one that is capable of handling your Internet connectivity needs. Look for these features in your new cable modem.
Hitron’s CODA DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem can replace your modem and handles speeds up to 6 Gbps. In fact, a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem can “future-proof” your connection by always delivering the fastest possible speeds.
The Hitron CODA DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem is available for purchase on Amazon. Need more information about cable modems, cable routers, or other home networking solutions? Check out Hitron’s Learn Cable Modems and Routers page.