If you’re an Xfinity internet customer, finding the right modem can make all the difference in your online experience. Most Xfinity customers opt for the default modem/router offered by Comcast, however, purchasing your own modem can improve your connection speeds, and can also help you save money by eliminating monthly rental fees from your ISP.
Before You Buy Your Modem
When making the decision to buy your own modem, it’s important to check Comcast’s list of approved third-party equipment for Xfinity. All retail Internet equipment must be certified to work on Xfinity’s network.
The Best Xfinity Compatible Modems
There are many lists out there claiming to be “the best” modem, and truthfully, the majority of these lists are not created with your best interests in mind. The simple truth is, the best modem for Xfinity needs to have the following:
- Gigabit Speeds – your cable modem must be capable of delivering the “up to” speeds of your Xfinity speed plan (a Gigabit modem will achieve this with plenty of room for future speed plan upgrades).
- DOSCIS 3.1 Technology – DOCSIS 3.1 technology is the latest technology available that provides superior Internet performance.
- Gigabit Ethernet port – Gigabit Ethernet ports will deliver the fastest speeds to your end devices (such as your Access Point or Router) so look for a DOCSIS 3.1 modem that has at least a 1-Gigabit Ethernet port.
- Voice Service (if applicable) – IF you subscribe to Xfinity Voice service, your cable modem will need this feature.
- Comcast Certification – Comcast Xfinity requires any retail Internet equipment to be certified in order to work on their network (such as the Hitron CODA with 1-Gigabit Ethernet or Hitron CODA56 with 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet modems) – see Xfinity’s approved modem list here.
Your modem is an essential component of your Internet connection. It’s the key piece of equipment providing the connection between your Internet Service Providers’ network and your home. If you subscribe to Xfinity, you need a modem that is compatible with their network to get the best performance and reliability.
Purchasing your own modem is an easy way to upgrade your internet experience and enjoy lightning-fast internet speeds. By investing in a modem that meets the above criteria, you can save money, while enhancing your internet experience to enjoy a faster, and more reliable internet connection.
Hitron has manufactured cable modems for the top Internet Service Providers in North America for over 30 years. Check out Hitron’s Gigabit modems, like the CODA 1-Gigabit Ethernet cable modem, or the CODA56 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet cable modem, available today on Amazon.