Is your cable modem and coax cable connection suffering? Are you unsure? No worries. There are ways that you can check this yourself without having to get your Internet Service Provider on the phone.
There are a handful of reasons why your cable modem and coax cable connection might need to be fixed:
- Loose fitting connection at the modem or coax outlet
- Coax cable outlet has stopped working
- Cables are pinched or bent from stepping on them or tripping over them
- Cables may be pinched by furniture placed on them
- Pets chewed wires
- Everyday wear and tear on cables and connections over time
First, if your services are new, the signal and service might not be activated yet. This is something you will have to call your ISP about or visit their website to get the instructions on how to activate everything.However, if your services are not brand new, you can run a test and troubleshoot that gives you your answer in less than 10 seconds. Here’s how to check:
Testing & Troubleshooting Your Coax & Cable Modem Connection
Everyday wear and tear on your cables and modem can create issues with your connection. But it’s likely the culprit is things like loose connections or environmental factors affecting your coax wiring, producing a weak, or non-existent signal.
Here are a few quick things you should make sure to ask yourself and check:
- Are the connections secure at both the cable modem and at the coax outlet? This includes your Ethernet cable and coax cable, checking to make sure connections are finger-tight and not loose.
- Does your cable modem need a reboot? Power off your modem for at least 10 seconds and then power it back on.
- Does your computer or router need a reboot? Since they connect to your cable modem, they can affect it. Restart each device by powering off for at least 10 seconds and then powering back on.
- Is your coax outlet or wiring getting a signal from your ISP?
By testing your coax, you can instantly tell if the issues you have are with your cable modem, coax wires or with your ISP. A simple tool like Hitron’s DSS-01 Coax Cable Tester can be used to quickly test your coax outlet or wiring, to ensure it is receiving an Internet signal from your ISP. Hitron’s coax cable tester uses patent technology developed in collaboration with a Tier 1 Cable Operator, that accurately detects a valid signal from your Cable Internet provider. No other tool can do this.
By having the DSS-01 Coax Cable Tester you will save yourself the hassle of calling your ISP and waiting for an expensive Technician to come to your home. The DSS-01 is available to purchase from Amazon. And, with the DSS-01, you can quickly perform the majority of troubleshooting yourself, saving yourself time and money.
Looking for more information on the DSS-01 Coax cable tester or how to troubleshoot your cable modem? Read our other articles on Cable Modems and Routers, or Coax Cable testing on Hitron’s Learn page.