You have several coax outlets in our home, but how do you know which to plug your modem or router into?
Unless you have done the installation of the coax wiring in your home yourself, it’s almost impossible to know what’s going on inside of your walls and attic. Nightmare scenarios of multiple coax splitters, a snake pit of coiled up or spaghetti-like wiring strewn about in ceilings and corners of the basement just add to your frustration. But there is hope when you have the right tool and knowledge.
Does the Coax Have an Internet Signal?
To achieve the objective of knowing which coax outlet to plug your modem or router into, you will need to determine if that particular coax outlet or wiring has an active signal and Internet connectivity from your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Cable Internet providers transmit their Internet and TV data using a specific range of radio frequencies. This range is what your modem or router uses to translate those signals into your Internet connection and to send and receive that data.
Two Testing Methods
Finding an Internet or broadband signal from your ISP can be done one of two ways:
- Manual method – Plug your cable modem/router into the coax outlet and powering it up to see if it makes a connection. This method is full-blown “trial-and-error” approach that can take a bit of time to make the connection, or it may never make a connection if there is no Internet signal going to that coax outlet.
- Coax Cable Tester – This is the much faster and more efficient, and more accurate method of detecting and validating the presence of an Internet or broadband signal from your ISP. When looking for a coax cable tester, you need to look for one that can detect the specific radio frequency range that Cable ISP’s use for Internet and broadband. Hitron developed such a tool in collaboration with a very large Cable Internet Operator in North America that uses patented technology to make this accurate detection of these Internet signals readily available. With the Hitron’s DSS-01 Coax Cable Tester, you can quickly and accurately detect which coax outlet or wire is receiving a valid Internet or broadband signal.
The Benefits of the DSS01 Coax Cable Tester:
- Professionally engineered to accurately test for valid Internet signals
- Test results in less than 10 seconds
- Easy to use – one-button test
- Easy to see bright, LED-light test results
- Small compact design that can fit into tight places
The DSS-01 is designed for anyone to use. You don’t need to be technical, however, it may make others admire your technical ability! Its small, compact design is perfect for fitting in the hard-to-reach places in your home or apartment, so you won’t have an issue testing that coax outlet hidden behind your media center.
How to Use the DSS01 Coax Cable Tester
Coax Outlet Test
To use the DSS01, simply push the DSS01 onto your coax outlet connector. Push the test button and in less than 10 seconds, you will see the test results. If the light is green, an Internet signal was detected. If it is red, there isn’t a signal.
Coax Wiring Test
The DSS01 comes complete with an “F” connector that modifies the DSS01 to be able to fit on the end of coax wiring. The test is the same as for a coax outlet: Push the test button and in less than 10 seconds, you will see the test results. If the light is green, a valid Internet signal was detected. If it is red, no signal was detected.
Because the DSS01 is designed using patented technology to detect a specific range of frequency signals from your Cable Internet provider, you can be assured that the results are extremely accurate.
Once you have found a valid working coax wire or outlet, you can connect your cable modem or router.
Using the DSS01 for Internet Troubleshooting
The DSS-01 can also be used when troubleshooting your Internet and modem/router connection as you can use it to perform the fundamental test of verifying that your modem/router, coax wiring or coax outlet is receiving a valid Internet signal from your Internet provider. By being able to perform this basic test, you will save yourself time and avoid the hassle of calling your provider for expensive technical support.
The DSS-01 was originally designed for Cable Internet providers and their Technicians to use. Hitron’s DSS-01 is available to you now on Amazon. Hitron has designed and manufactured cable modems, routers and Technician Testing Tools for over 30 years. To learn more about the DSS-01 Coax Cable Tester, check out Hitron’s Learn page or Blog.