DOCSIS 3.1 is the latest cable Internet standard but you still see a lot of DOCSIS 3.0 modems everywhere online…so that begs the question “is DOCSIS 3.0 now obsolete?”
DOCSIS 3.0 was released in 2006 and is considered old modem technology considered end-of-life by many Service Providers. It has been replaced by DOCSIS 3.1 as a new standard of technology and accepted modem type by ISPs. This is largely because DOCSIS 3.1 is a major Internet protocol update that offers 10X faster speeds than DOCSIS 3.0 and stronger security. DOCSIS 3.0 will be obsolete (unsupported by ISPs) very soon and here’s why.
How long has DOCSIS 3.0 been around?
DOCSIS 3.0 was first released over 15 years ago, which makes it very old in terms of technology development and advancements in features.
DOCSIS 3.0 maximum download speed is 1 Gbps, whereas DOCSIS 3.1 maximum download speed is up to 10 Gbps – 10 times faster than DOCSIS 3.0.
Will DOCSIS 3.0 work with my ISP?
For now, yes but it will be limited. Many Cable Operators are asking their subscribers to upgrade their DOCSIS 3.0 modems so they can take advantage of stronger security protection as well as faster Internet speeds. Have a look at this letter from 2021 from WOW and this recent communication from Comcast Xfinity here.
What’s the difference between a DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 cable modem?
In a previous article, we explain DOCSIS 3.1 technology improvements.
In a nutshell, DOCSIS 3.1 offers:
- Faster download speeds
- Faster upload speeds
- Greater Data transmission performance
- Higher capacity to handle more device traffic
- Stronger security protection
DOCSIS 3.1 was designed to enable higher downstream and upstream rates to handle the growing bandwidth requirements of 4K video, online gaming, video conferencing and much more.
Overall, DOCSIS 3.1 provides greater speed improvements, more advanced technologies and greater performance for your cable modem.
DOCSIS 3.1 Advantages
- DOCSIS 3.1 is 10x faster than DOCSIS 3.0 because it is specifically designed for Gigabit speed Internet (the fastest available)
- DOCSIS 3.1 is capable of speeds up to 10 Gbps
- DOCSIS 3.1 is more energy efficient because it allows your cable modem to go to “sleep” mode when you aren’t using it
- DOCSIS 3.1 is “future-proof”, meaning its ready for the speeds offered today by your Internet Provider and speeds offered tomorrow
- DOCSIS 3.1 is better for streaming HD video and online gaming because it has reduced packet latency (resulting in less lag time)
- DOCSIS 3.1 has better security than previous DOCSIS versions
For technology needs of today, a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem is the better option if you have a high-speed Internet plan and you want to extend the life of your Internet connection.
The Hitron CODA DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem is available for purchase on Amazon. Do you need more information about cable modems, cable routers, or other home networking solutions? Check out Hitron’s Learn Cable Modems and Routers page.