When you have a router with MoCA technology built-in, you can use one MoCA adapter (also called Coax to Ethernet adapter). MoCA stands for Multimedia over Coaxial Alliance, which means that you can use the coax cable wiring that exists in your home to enhance your WiFi.
Some modern routers have the MoCA capability already built in. If you are unsure if yours does, you can ask your Internet service provider (ISP) if your router is MoCA-enabled. Or you can invest in a router with MoCA on your own.
If the one you already own has built-in MoCA, that saves you needing a second MoCA adapter to make your setup work. However, having two MoCA adapters will guarantee that you can successfully set up MoCA in your home. With or without the enabled router. Set up is easy.
Setting Up MoCA Adapters with your MoCA Router
If you currently pay for TV services like cable or moved into a home that once had cable services, then your home is set up for MoCA-enabled devices like your MoCA router.
Before setting up any devices, do the following:
- Locate the existing coaxial cable jacks in your home. Most homes have at least two or more.
- Buy at least one MoCA adapter.
I have a MoCA-enabled modem or router:
- Make sure MoCA is enabled on your router.
- Then connect your one MoCA adapter to a coax jack and to your device via Ethernet
- and make sure it pairs with your MoCA-enabled router.
Since your router has the MoCA technology built-in, it acts as the second MoCA adapter in the connection.
I do not have a MoCA-enabled modem or router
- connect one MoCA adapter to a coax jack and into your router
- connect a second adapter with an Ethernet cable into the device you use to connect to the Internet. (This requires an Ethernet cable.)
How MoCA Makes Your WiFi Better
A MoCA adapter is designed to give you better WiFi coverage and performance throughout your home. And having a MoCA router makes this that much easier. The adapter is a wired network solution. Because it is wired, it creates a reliable, direct connection that eliminates any dead spots in your home.
MoCA adapters don’t override your wireless Internet. By using MoCA adapters, you still get to enjoy the benefits of WiFi, but better because they enhance your WiFi.
MoCA adapters support and enhance your WiFi network in a few ways:
- Support faster speeds
- Create a stronger, always reliable connection
- Reduced latency and lag for better streaming and online gaming
- Create a solid, reliable connection for better video calls with friends, family or for working from home
Do all of this with minimal wires and a compact size to reduce clutter and expensive installation
When to Use MoCA Technology
MoCA technology uses your existing coaxial cable wiring to create a MoCA network that resembles an Ethernet connection. So, if you are unable to run Ethernet, or if you want to avoid a weekend of wiring, then get a pair of MoCA adapters to transform your coax wiring! A MoCA network is a worry-free solution:
- No additional wires
- No expensive installation or setup
- No lag for improved connection speed
- Always reliable
MoCA is an in-home wired backbone that creates an extremely fast and reliable connection. As you connect more and more devices onto your home network, you need a connection that can support faster speeds with a reliable connection.