Slow WiFi ruins everything. That may sound dramatic, but in today’s world, it really isn’t. Almost everything we do at home seems to be through a connected device. From entertainment, to working from home, online classes, and even our IoT devices like smart kitchen appliances are affected by slow WiFi.
If your WiFi is slow everything connected to it suffers.
Why Slow WiFi Happens
Slow WiFi happens when the WiFi signal is weak. This can happen for a number of reasons because wireless Internet is naturally vulnerable. Whereas wired Internet, like Ethernet over coax, is a direct connection, wireless Internet is affected by interferences and obstacles, which will create slow WiFi network speeds. Things like:
- Your router being too far away
- Thick walls and floors
- Appliances such as microwave ovens
- Your neighbor’s competing WiFi signal
- Too many people connected to your network, possibly including unwanted guests.
All of these interferences and obstacles disrupt your signal and make it weak. When your signal is weak, it cannot reach everywhere in your home, so your connection suffers and slows to a crawl. There are simple ways to fix this. It is possible to increase your WiFi speed on your own.
How to Increase your WiFi Speed
There are a few quick tricks you can try to get a better WiFi signal. Things like:
- Moving your router closer to your devices and in a central location.
- Adding a second router into your setup, possibly in harder to reach areas like upstairs or in your basement.
- Checking your router’s frequency and channels and adjusting them to better options.
- Investing in a new router if your device is outdated.
- Using a wired internet connection such as Ethernet over coax to boost your WiFi signal.
When your signal is strong your connection speed increases. Also, you can use WiFi boosters to make sure you have strong signal coverage in every corner of your home. The type of WiFi booster you use depends on your needs, but one reliable wired solution is with using MoCA adapters.
MoCA adapters help increase your WiFi speed by creating a wired backbone for your network. The setup is easy. Beyond being easy to setup, a MoCA adapter like the Hitron HT-EM4 has many benefits to improve your network. Faster WiFi speeds is one of them. Other benefits include secure WiFi and better streaming and gaming experiences.
Learn everything you need to know about MoCA in our MoCA Complete Guide. For more resources on how to improve your WiFi to enhance your Internet connection speeds in every room in your home, check out Hitron’s Learn Page or blog.