Your home Internet speeds cannot exceed the speed plan that you subscribe to from your Internet Service Provider (ISP). However, if you are not receiving the Internet speeds promised by your ISP, there are things you can do to improve them.
First, it’s important to speed test your network connection, especially for WiFi. Make sure you know what speeds your connection is performing at.
How Your Cable Modem Affects Speeds
Your cable modem plays an integral role in achieving the best possible Internet speeds since your modem is responsible for delivering your Internet connection into your home.
A DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem is currently the best cable modem technology available today, delivering:
- The fastest speeds available. up to 10 Gbps download and up to 1 Gbps upload speeds
- Higher network capacity
- More energy efficient modems
- Higher quality Internet performance and data transmission to handle more Internet traffic
Improve Your Cable Modem & Improve Your Internet Speeds
To get the fastest, most reliable Internet speeds you need to make sure you have the most current hardware. Upgrading your cable modem to DOCSIS 3.1 technology allows you to get the most out of your Internet plan through your service provider. DOCSIS 3.1 provides faster Internet speeds using advanced signal processing techniques that increase the available spectrum for transferring downstream and upstream data. This process transmits more data traffic, faster and more efficiently.
More tips for improving your Internet speeds:
- Firmware updates: Update the firmware on your router and modem.
- Upgrade your devices: Replace your cable modem or router to a newer version with DOCSIS 3.1.
- Router placement: Don’t forget to pay attention to your router. Your router works with your cable modem. For increase WiFi performance and speeds, place your router (or gateway) in a central, unobstructed location.
- Router frequency: Use the ideal frequency band, which is 2.4 GHz for devices located farther away from the router, 5 GHz for newer devices and closer to the router.
- Network security: Maintain your network and remove unknown or unused devices from the network.
Your cable modem can affect your Internet speeds. To get the most out of your Internet plan and improve your Internet speeds, upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.1 powered modem.
Available on Amazon, Hitron’s CODA DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem delivers the fastest Multi-Gigabit speeds to your connected devices. Learn more about cable modems or cable modem routers by reading Hitron’s Learn Page.