No, MoCA is not the same as Ethernet, but they are similar. They are both wired Internet solutions for the home, however there are some key differences. Here’s a quick overview of what MoCA and Ethernet are:
- MoCA stands for Multimedia over Coaxial Alliance. MoCA uses the existing TV cable wiring (coaxial cables) in your home to transmit data.
- With MoCA technology you use MoCA adapters to create a MoCA network and extend your network coverage and bandwidth.
- The bandwidth across your MoCA network is shared.
- MoCA adapters convert your coax wiringinto an Ethernet-like network connection to give you a bigger pipe and faster network backbone.
- With MoCA, you can get up to 1 Gigabit (Gbps) network speeds. You can read more in-depth about MoCA technology here.
- Ethernet uses individual Ethernet cables to create a wired Internet connection to your devices.
- With Ethernet, bandwidth is separate to each individual Ethernet cable.
- Individual Ethernet cables do not share bandwidth.
- Ethernet provides speeds equal to that of your Cat 5 or 6 wiring in your home.
Combine MoCA and Ethernet Networks
MoCA and Ethernet are similar technologies but they are not identical. Like all things, there are advantages and disadvantages to using one over the other. You can use your MoCA network with your existing Ethernet network to extend your network connection using your coaxial wiring. Read our article on Ethernet switches and MoCA.
Benefits of MoCA:
- Uses existing coax cables in your home (no drilling holes, no hassles)
- Capable of delivering network speeds up to 2.5 Gbps
- Performs just like Ethernet
- No expensive or messy setup
- Easier to set up than running Ethernet wiring
- Lower latency and reduced lag to every corner of your home
- Less interference risk than WiFi or powerline networking
- Secure technology
Use Both Ethernet and MoCA
You can extend your Ethernet network by using MoCA technology and MoCA adapters to harness the bandwidth capabilities of your existing coax wiring in your home! Plus, you can use this extremely stable and fast network to increase the network speeds being delivered to your router/Access Point and WiFi devices for faster WiFi!
MoCA is designed to leverage your existing coaxial cable wiring to provide you with greater backhaul, no additional wires, simple setup, always fast and reliable network solution. MoCA lowers latency (no lag) and improves your connection speed throughout your entire home.
Looking to extend your Ethernet network without the hassles of running wires? MoCA technology is the way to go. Get HT-EM4 MoCA adapters available on Amazon, to instantly transform your coax wiring today.