Still operating on a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem? Consider upgrading to DOCSIS 3.1 ASAP.
If you currently rent your modem from your Internet Service Provider (ISP), then you should be on a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. (Contact your ISP if you are unsure.)
However, if you own your modem or are in the market to buy a modem for the first time, then you want a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.
What you should know about upgrading to DOCSIS 3.1
Every cable modem has a protocol called DOCSIS which dictates how fast the download and upload speeds will be between your ISP and your devices. We have a whole DOCSIS guide here.
DOCSIS 3.1 is proven to be better than DOCSIS 3.0 in all ways. So, it stands to reason that if you want the best Internet you can get, then DOCSIS 3.1 is what you need.
The advantages of upgrading to DOCSIS 3.1:
- DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems have the most up-to-date cable modem security.
- DOCSIS 3.1 supports Gigabit speed plans from your ISP.
- DOCSIS 3.1 has improved performance for the most reliable Internet connections.
- DOCSIS 3.1 technology can handle more bandwidth and is best for online activities like gaming, working from home, video calls, online schooling, video streaming, or any other high-bandwidth connection.
- DOCSIS 3.1 technology reduces latency and lag.
- DOCSIS 3.1 is future-proof to handle all current and future speed plans from your ISP.
Comparing DOCSIS 3.1 vs 3.0
The top theoretical speed that DOCSIS 3.0 can support is DOCSIS 3.1’s lowest (guaranteed) speed. That should tell you something right there, but here are some breakdowns for comparison:
Max download speed
- DOCSIS 3.1: 10 Gigabit (Gbps)
- DOCSIS 3.0: 1 Gigabit (Gbps)
Max upload speed
- DOCSIS 3.1: 1 Gigabit (Gbps)
- DOCSIS 3.0: 216 Megabit (Mbps)
DOCSIS 3.1 availability with ISPs
- DOCSIS 3.1: Supported by all major U.S. Cable Internet providers (Spectrum, Xfinity, Cox, etc.).
- DOCSIS 3.0: Not likely. DOCSIS 3.0 is considered old modem technology. Most ISPs consider it end-of-life (EOL).
To really experience the best Internet you can (including WiFi 6) you need upgraded technology – and that includes DOCSIS 3.1 for your modem.
Hitron’s CODA DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem is available on Amazon. The CODA has DOCSIS 3.1 to deliver the fastest Gigabit speeds to all of your connected devices. Learn more about cable modems or cable modem routers by reading Hitron’s Learn Page.