Your cable modem or cable modem router should have DOCSIS 3.1 support. If it’s anything less, like DOCSIS 3.0, you are not getting the most out of your Internet.
Note: If you don’t know what DOCSIS is, we wrote all about it in this Cable Modems 101 DOCSIS Guide. Catch up to speed there if you need and come back to this article.
DOCSIS 3.1 provides better Internet overall. The biggest benefit of DOCSIS 3.1 is faster speeds and stronger security. Only DOCSIS 3.1 can deliver Gigabit speeds. Other benefits are that DOCSIS 3.1 offers:
- Up to 10 Gbps download and up to 1 Gbps upload speeds.
- “Future Safe technology” meaning you have more time between modem upgrades because it’s the latest technology available.
- Greater performance to handle more bandwidth demands.
- Stronger modem security because it’s the latest/newest technology.
- Reduced packet latency to reduce lag for better video streaming and online gaming.
- Reduced power consumption.
Among other benefits.
DOCSIS 3.0 is near obsolete. That’s why it’s important to have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. If you don’t know what you are currently running on, that’s okay. It is very easy to check which version your modem is.
How to check your current version of DOCSIS
We touched on why to check your DOCSIS version if you don’t know it, now here’s how to check:
- Checking your DOCSIS version should be as easy as looking at the label on the body of the device. The version of DOCSIS that your cable modem has should be the modem label (the label may be either at the bottom or back of the cable modem).
- If your device doesn’t have a clear or visible label for some reason, you can always Google the model number with the word “DOCSIS” to see if that produces results.
- Lastly, if the other two options are not fruitful, you can always reach out to your Service Provider for help.
The time to have DOCSIS 3.1 support is now. If you are still on DOCSIS 3.0, consider upgrading to DOCSIS 3.1. The Hitron CODA DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem is the perfect choice for any cable Internet user looking to take their connection to the next level.