When it comes to cable modem technology, DOCSIS 3.1 is the latest upgraded version from DOCSIS 3.0, so it stands to prove that it would be better. But just how much better is it and what about DOCSIS 3.1 is better than DOCSIS 3.0?
What makes DOCSIS 3.1 better than DOCSIS 3.0?
DOCSIS 3.1 is the latest and greatest technology available for cable modems. The most notable improvement of DOCSIS 3.1 is that it supports significantly faster speeds. DOCSIS 3.1 download speeds are 10 times faster than older DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems can handle. DOCSIS 3.1 can support theoretical speeds up to 10 Gbps.
Here are the key features of DOCSIS 3.1 that make it better than DOCSIS 3.0:
- DOCSIS 3.1 has speeds 10 times faster than DOCSIS 3.0
- DOCSIS 3.1 has channel bondingthat allows multiple channels to be bonded together to create a single, wider pipe for data to travel through. DOCSIS 3.1 supports up to 32 channels (twenty-four downstream, eight upstream).
- DOCSIS 3.1 is the only technology that can deliver multi-Gigabit speeds
- DOCSIS 3.1 modems have more advanced security protection than older DOCSIS 3.0 modems.
- DOCSIS 3.1 modems will “future-proof” your Internet connection by offering the much higher Gigabit speeds and improved security protection.
- DOCSIS 3.1 reduces latency and is more energy efficient than DOCSIS 3.0.
- DOCSIS 3.1 uses OFDM and OFDMA(Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiplexing) to create 3X higher throughput than single OFDM (which DOCSIS 3.0 has single OFDM) for more efficient performance.
We wrote an in-depth article that compares DOCSIS 3.1 vs DOCSIS 3.0 here for you to check it out.
Why do you need DOCSIS 3.1?
DOCSIS 3.1 will future-proof your Internet connection by being able to support the speed plans available today and tomorrow. Your cable modem is at the center of all your online actions. Whether it’s online gaming, steaming your favorite show or hosting a video call. Whatever the action, making sure your modem can support higher-speed Internet plans is crucial.
In addition, DOCSIS 3.1 offers significantly stronger modem security protection than the older DOCSIS 3.0 technology. If you think about it, DOCSIS 3.0 was released in 2006. That’s over 15-year-old technology.
DOCSIS 3.0 vs DOCSIS 3.1 feature comparison
The differences between DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 technologies are significant. We wrote an article showing the differences in technical features between DOCSIS 3.0 and DOCSIS 3.1 so you can see it for yourself.
Getting a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem is by far the best choice for the bandwidth required by today’s connected devices. Having a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem, like Hitron’s CODA DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem, can deliver the multi-Gigabit speeds to all of your connected devices, today and tomorrow.