Are you still renting your modem? You might be better off buying one instead – here’s why.
Buying a cable modem is more beneficial than renting one if you want the latest in cable modem technology and if you want to save money. Buying your cable modem can save you up to $168* per year in monthly equipment rental fees.
How to save money on your Internet bill
There are a few ways to save money with your ISP and lower your Internet bill:
- Buy your own modem, router, and other equipment.
- Only pay for the speeds you need.
- Ask about bundle discounts and promotions.
Advantages of buying a modem
Having Internet means you need a modem. If you are weighing the pros and cons of buying vs renting a modem, we wrote an article for you. If you buy your own modem, the top advantage is that you save money in the long term – up to $168 per year. Here are some other advantages to buying vs renting a modem:
- Lower monthly Internet bill – Buying a cable modem or cable modem router will increase your initial costs, but will lower your monthly Internet bill going forward (given that you are not over paying elsewhere, like with speeds you don’t need).
- Have the latest technology – Buying your own modem means you can get the latest technology on the market so you can take advantage of enhancements to modem bandwidth capacity, reliability and increased speeds.
- Custom configuration – Buying a modem offers the flexibility of more customization of your device settings and custom configuration for your home Internet and WiFi network.
- Combination devices – Buying a combination modem and router unit versus purchasing a separate modem and router, will get the job done more efficiently and cost effectively, while keeping things simple. Either way, you’ll save money in the long run.
If you want to save money in the long run, buy a cable modem like Hitron’s CODA DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem. Hitron offers devices designed to future-proof your Internet speeds and increases the performance of your Internet connection.