Your modem is arguably the most important piece of technology in your home. This is because it is what sits between you and your ISP to transmit and transfer Internet speeds and data. Keeping your modem up-to-date as well as updated, will affect your Internet connection speeds and your Internet performance. Here’s how.
As modem technology evolves, modem technology, features and capabilities eventually become out of date. Unfortunately, modems and their technology don’t last forever. Whether you buy your own modem, rent one from your ISP, look for one that has the latest technology and new features to future-proof your Internet connection.
That said, it’s natural for a modem to get slower as it ages. Outdated modems or devices that are reaching their end of life do not perform as best as they can. Therefore, you will experience slow Internet with an old modem over time.
When to replace your modem
The lifespan of a modem can vary depending on the environment its working in (dusty, high temperatures, etc.), however, there are telling signs for when you should replace your modem. Things like:
Signs that your modem is outdated:
- Outdated technology (like DOCSIS 3.0).
- Your ISP no longer supports your modem.
What to look for in a new modem:
You want a modem device with all the benefits of having the latest technology. The latest cable modem technology is DOCSIS 3.1, which is superior to DOCSIS 3.0.
A DOCSIS 3.1 modem offers:
- Faster speeds. DOCSIS 3.1 delivers multi-Gigabit speeds, up to 2 Gbps for future Internet speed plan upgrades.
- Lower latency and lag, which is great for working from home, online gaming, video streaming and other high-bandwidth activities.
- Advanced modem security, which is crucial. Don’t settle for DOCSIS 3.0, especially when it comes to security. DOCSIS 3.0 was developed in 2006 which is over 15 years ago.
- Longer device lifetime. Like we said in the beginning, modems don’t last forever. But a DOCSIS 3.1 modem is your best bet for future-proofing your home Internet for years to come.
If you are looking for the best possible Internet speeds and performance, Hitron’s CODA DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem available on Amazon is a great choice.
The Hitron CODA is approved by Comcast XFINITY, Charter Spectrum and Cox Gigablast, so you can be sure that it will work seamlessly.
Hitron offers devices designed to future-proof your Internet speeds and increases the performance of your Internet connection. You can learn more about cable modems or cable modem routers by reading Hitron’s articles on our Learn Page or our Blog articles.