A spotty home Wi-Fi connection is the worst. It is frustrating when you can only use your device(s) in specific areas of your home because the Wi-Fi connection is strongest in some spots and not in others. These “dead zones” or “dead spots” occur because the Wi-Fi signal is struggling to reach these areas. To fix the issue, you need to get better coverage in your home. You can do this with Wi-Fi range extenders.
Ideally you would have a blanket of strong Wi-Fi covering your entire home. You would do this with an entire mesh router system, which can get costly. That’s why investing in a few Wi-Fi range extenders to improve Wi-Fi coverage is a better solution for most people.
So, what are Wi-Fi range extenders? They are a type of Wi-Fi booster.
There are a few types of Wi-Fi boosters out there. They sound similar and function similarly (extend the reach of your wireless Internet), but they are all different. The different types are:
- Wireless repeaters– a device the re-broadcasts the same quality of Wi-Fi signal that it receives.
- Wireless range extenders – a device that you place between your router and the hard to reach area. Similar to a repeater, the wireless range extender re-broadcasts the existing signal.
- Wireless network extenders – similar to a range extender but with slightly more flexibility.
This page focuses on Wi-Fi range extenders. While they are a great solution to dead spots in your home, they do have limitations. The effectiveness can be hindered by things like:
- The speed of the internet connection coming into your home
- The distance placed from your router
- The areas in your home that need Wi-Fi coverage
- The Wi-Fi demands of your household
But, if you have a strong and fast Wi-Fi signal that you just need to stretch farther, range extenders are your friend. Make sure when the extender is set up that it is near your router and in direct line of it so that the connection is optimal. If you have a larger home or a household that demands high-bandwidth coverage, you may need to invest in multiple devices, especially if you also want better Wi-Fi in places like your basement, attic, garage or outdoor spaces.
The best Wi-Fi extenders will check all of these boxes:
- Easy to install
- Be flexible enough to support the functions of multiple devices in one: Ethernet, MoCA and Wi-Fi
- Create a high-performing network
Hitron’s Wi-Fi range extender offerings check all of these boxes and are a flexible solution to getting the high-performing network you want, whether that is through Ethernet, MoCA, or Wi-Fi. Ask your Internet service provider about Hitron’s Wi-Fi boosters today.
Want more like this? Check out Hitron’s Learn Page for more.