Both Mesh WiFi and WiFi extenders are great options for getting better WiFi signal coverage in your home. The difference depends on your situation and needs.
Here is some information on what each of these devices or systems are, what’s the difference between them, and how to choose the right one for you.
What is Mesh WiFi?
Mesh WiFi is a whole-home system that includes a mesh router that connects directly to your modem and series of devices often called nodes. Everything works together to create a blanket of WiFi coverage throughout your home. Mesh WiFi is different from traditional WiFi because it communicates with multiple nodes placed strategically throughout your home, instead of a single router.
What is a WiFi Extender?
A WiFi extender is a WiFi booster device that connects to your router either wirelessly or with a wired connection. You place the WiFi extender between your router and the area that the WiFi signal is having a hard time reaching.
The Difference Between Mesh WiFi & WiFi Extender?
Both Mesh WiFi and WiFi extenders make the promise to improve the coverage of your WiFi signal, but the way they achieve that is different. There are a few key differences between Mesh WiFi and a WiFi extender:
How they work:
- Mesh WiFi is typically a replacement for your home WiFi.
- A WiFi extender works within your current network.
- Mesh WiFi requires specific devices, including a mesh router and individual nodes.
- A WiFi extender is one device.
- A mesh WiFi system can be an investment but it will give you flexibility within your home network.
- A WiFi extender can be a more affordable option if you only need to extend a limited area of WiFi.
Regardless the option you choose, setting up Mesh WiFi and setting up a WiFi extender are both easy to do.
When to Choose Mesh WiFi vs WiFi Extender?
So, which do you choose? Here are a few things to keep in mind to help guide you to the right choice:
Mesh WiFi is great for:
- Larger homes that need coverage up to 2,000 to 5,000 square feet
- Flexibility of its set up and high-tech options such as advanced security (parental controls) and management software via an app
- Achieving outdoor coverage up to 100 square feet
- Remote access to your home network via an app to manage settings such as parental controls
WiFi extenders are great for:
- Smaller homes and living situations
- A quick solution to boost your WiFi
- An affordable and accessible option
Which is better, Mesh WiFi or a WiFi extender?
That answer depends on your needs. Both can be the perfect solution for boosting your home WiFi network signal. Consider your needs and go from there.
Hitron’s offerings of WiFi Boosters eliminate WiFi dead spots and work with Ethernet, MoCA, or WiFi. Need more information on WiFi Boosters or Managed WiFi? Check out Hitron’s Learn Page for more.