This page refers to buying a cable modem. We have more information on the pros and cons of buying versus renting devices, but this page does not pertain to rentals.
When you are looking to replace a device, you need to consider a few things:
- Which Internet service provider (ISP) are you using?
- What are your cable modem needs?
- Does the ISP support the device(s)?
Compatibility requirements for certain Internet Service Providers
All ISPs have different specifications and requirements for compatible cable modems, router and other devices. If you are renting from a specific provider, this will not matter for you since that provider will give you compatible devices. However, if you are looking to buy your own device(s), then here are tips to pay attention to:
1. Start by identifying your service provider.
Since you landed on this page, you are probably looking to do one of two things:
- Switch from one provider to another. Specifically, from Spectrum to another provider.
- Or, keep Spectrum as a provider but upgrade your current Spectrum device.
Either way, knowing the provider you want is important, since they determine the specifications your ideal device needs to meet to be compatible. That said, it is also important to figure out your cable modem must-have features so that you get the one that serves you best but is also supported by your ISP.
2. Identify your cable modem needs. Here are some things to consider:
- Do you need something that is the best value to fit a budget?
- Are you looking for advanced features like voice compatibility?
- Consider the DOCSIS standard, which should be at least 3.0 if not 3.1.
- Do you care most about fastest download and upload speeds?
- If you want Wi-Fi, your modem needs to support Wi-Fi compatibility (or you can opt for a combination modem/router device).
There are plenty of resources lists out there, but the most accurate will always be a compatibility list of cable modems that are approved directly from the ISP. As new technology rolls out, the compatibility changes. So, make sure to do you research.
Hitron’s CODA DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem is available on Amazon, The CODA DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem is approved by Spectrum. DOCSIS 3.1 technology will deliver the fastest Multi-Gigabit speeds to your connected devices. Learn more about cable modems or cable modem routers by reading Hitron’s Learn Page.