Like with many things, there can always be a better solution for the situation you are in or the challenge that you are facing. When it comes to whether or not coax is a better solution than Ethernet, well, it depends. They both have strengths depending on your needs. Let’s take a look at how each compare to the other:
Coax vs Ethernet, Which is Better?
Coax (MoCA): Coax or MoCA uses the existing coax TV cable wiring in your home to transmit data. The bandwidth across all MoCA adapters in your home is shared, versus each device having an individual cable like with Ethernet.
MoCA strengths are:
- Using existing cables in your home (coax cables)
- No expensive or messy setup (reduced cable clutter)
- Easy to set up compared to Ethernet
- Lower latency and reduced lag to every corner of your home, which is great for gaming
- Reliable connection with less interference risk than Wi-Fi or powerline networking
- Secure technology
- Supports your Wi-Fi network, making it better.
Ethernet: Ethernet uses individual wires. The bandwidth is separate to each individual wire or cable. Individual Ethernet cables do not share bandwidth. Therefore, every device you want to connect needs a separate cable.
Ethernet strengths are:
- Direct, fast Internet connection with every individual connected device
- Direct connection avoids most interferences
- Reliable connection
However, strengths come at a cost. Literally. Ethernet installation and setup can be pricey and create a headache of drilling holes in your walls. That’s why MoCA is a simpler solution than Ethernet to essentially get the same results if not better (depending on your circumstances). If you are looking for a reliable, convenient and also fast setup, MoCA is the way to go.
Using coax is designed to make your Wi-Fi better, not to replace your Wi-Fi unlike Ethernet as a full wired Internet solution. This way, you get the best of wireless and wired Internet. If you are not satisfied with how your home Wi-Fi network is currently performing, give it a boost with MoCA. No additional wires, no expensive installation or setup.
Looking to boost your Wi-Fi? MoCA technology is the way to go. You can enhance your Wi-Fi connection in every corner of your home with HT-EM4 MoCA adapters.